Thursday, September 2, 2010

6 Minute Walk

Today was officially my last test, the 6 minute walk of doom. Nah just kidding, but it was tough. They basically want to see how far you can walk in 6 minutes, i think they like to see around 1000 ft, but the more the better. She said I walked about 1050 ft, which was 3 laps around the unit here. After not walking pretty much at all for a month, except to the bathroom and around the house, I thought I did pretty good, and the docs were happy, so I'm happy. :)

It's weird how something like walking can make you nervous. I was so nervous for this test, like I could fail it or something. A nurse told me recently, "90% of what we worry about doesn't happen, and the other 10% doesn't happen the way you thought it would". I found that especially true today. Not being able to breathe can do funny things to you. I just have to slow down and think, "you HAVE air, you CAN breathe", that usually works. I've been learning a lot of relaxation techniques since I've been here. And I'll admit I thought that stuff was silly, but it really does work. It's amazing how much of our breathing is mental just as much as physical work.

I guess the walk wasn't too bad because I went for another 2 laps about 30 minutes ago, lol. Now I'm watching them GAMECOCKS!!! Could this night get any better? :) Love you all my Clemson fans :)

My Dad and brother and sister-in-law are coming up tomorrow so I am very excited about having some company. I'm glad someone will be here to stay with Mom for a few days. I'm weird about having people visit me when I'm so sick. I'm trying to get over that, haha. Just wanted to write a little update today, thanks for reading :) Love to Everyone :)))))

2 comments:

  1. It IS amazing what we can push our bodies to do considering how sick we are (were). I'm pushing for you girl! Fellow Duke-y!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) GOOD! GAMECOCK FAN!! :D haha, tell all hello from us. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete